Sunday, March 27, 2011

Recordio 1947



I have a collection of old, home recorded records that I found at various junk and thrift stores. I found several recently, all apparently recorded by the same person, at the Latter Library book sale. My favorite of the bunch is labeled "Wayne, Jack and Brian - 3/24/47". Wayne and Jack both introduce themselves as students at the "Audubon School" and gave their last names as something that sounds to me like Laszlo.

The record is very sweet with the eldest, Wayne, reciting two nursery rhymes for his dad, then Jack, slightly less sure, and then, finally, little Brian, unable to talk above a squeak as his dad encourages him to say a few words for the record so that his grandparents can hear him.

These little boys would all now be past sixty. I would like to give them their record back. Anyone know a Laszlo family, or something like that, with three boys, Wayne, Jack, and Brian, all born in the thirties or forties and from New Orleans.

***

Here are two of the rhymes they recited for their dad:


We have a secret, just we three,
The robin, and I, and the sweet cherry-tree;
The bird told the tree, and the tree told me,
And nobody knows it but just us three.

But of course the robin knows it best,
Because she built the--I shan't tell the rest;
And laid the four little--something in it--
I'm afraid I shall tell it every minute.

But if the tree and the robin don't peep,
I'll try my best the secret to keep;
Though I know when the little birds fly about
Then the whole secret will be out.

The Turtle

There was a little turtle
Who lived in a box.
He swam in the puddles
And climbed on the rocks.

He snapped at the mosquito,
He snapped at the flea.
He snapped at the minnow,
And he snapped at me.

He caught the mosquito,
He caught the flea.
He caught the minnow,
But he didn't catch me!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much!! Jack Barcelo is my Dad, this was so fun to hear- thanks for sharing. Lisa Barcelo Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. I am very glad that these records are finding their way back to your family. I will try to post another video or two before they are reunited with your dad this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy - this is fantastic, and I'm absolutely astounded that something like this can be identified sixty-five years after it was recorded!

    I'm amazed that you figured out "Barcelo" because I certainly thought it was more like "Laszlo" when I first heard Wayne. I don't know exactly how Lisa found your blog, but my guess is that it wouldn't have happened without your correct identification of the name.

    Brian is my father. He was about 2 1/2 years old at the time of the recording. I believe Wayne and Jack announced their ages of 8 and 6 1/2, respectively.

    Great work and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Trevor, Lisa, and Jason (who posted on another entry),

    I am glad you found this entry.

    I emailed with Jack earlier this month. I told him that I would give him all of the records that I have, maybe ten or fifteen, when he comes to town next. Hopefully someone in the family has a 78 player!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure we can buy one if someone doesn't have one. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete